Rainy River Resources – Feasibility Study for Route Realignment
Rainy River Resources is focused on exploring and developing a newly discovered gold resource in the southwest corner of northern Ontario. The company’s key asset is its large 100%-owned advanced exploration stage Rainy River gold project.
TBT Engineering’s Role
TBT Engineering was commissioned by Rainy River Resources Limited to provide a Feasibility Study for the construction of a proposed realignment for an existing transportation route. The current route traverses through a mineral exploration area being developed by the company and is located near a community, which has raised safety concerns.
The following is a brief overview of the final report that was created for the client.
- Overview of the study area and general features of existing route where discussed.
- Design criteria in draft stage was presented.
- The anticipated environmental assessment process and associated timelines was outlined.
- Information regarding Provincial and Federal permitting and approvals was presented.
- Natural science / existing environmental conditions where discussed.
- Steps to be completed for a cultural heritage (archaeological) assessment on chosen alternative route where outlined.
- A study plan showing the nature of assumed geotechnical conditions was presented.
GEOMATICS / MAPPING CONSIDERATIONS
- Plan drawings of the alignment options with terrain features and contours and claims map information was presented and discussed.
IDENTIFICATION OF ALTERNATIVES
- A defined quantitative and qualitative method of comparative evaluation was developed, presented and explained.
- Brief summary for each realignment alternative was presented along with associated construction cost estimates.
- In addition to quantitative analysis factors, alternative evaluations where extended to include factors such as property acquisitions, aggregate sources, permitting, travel distances for motorists, and anticipated road maintenance costs.
EVALUATION OF ALTERNATIVES
- All analysis was summarized for each alternative route in terms of costs, constructability and timelines.
- The optimal route realignment alternative was recommended based on completed analysis.